In this thread, you should find information on what has changed in the most recent updates. Note that this thread is for the main update group, and does not include the changes for the devprev update group.
This update enables Electron Density puzzles, which should be coming out soon.
Exploration Puzzles have been changed to handle multiple Contact Maps.
Bug fix for the new Exploration Puzzle system.
Exploration Puzzles - A new type of scoring can be used which gives you exploration multiplier for LOSING contacts that the starting structure has, instead of just gaining ones that it doesn't.
Electron Density - The alignment should be faster, though less precise. It also shouldn't hang occasionally when attempting to align.
Intro Puzzles - The new intro puzzles, including puzzles which focus on specific game types.
Linux - Copy and paste should work now, as long as you have xclip installed (not xclipboard).
Bug Fixes - You should now be able to properly load in solutions from previous puzzles. Various other bug fixes.
Intro Puzzles - Intro puzzles are now marked as completed on an account basis. If you beat them on one account, any time you play the game on that machine or any other machine, they will also be completed.
Electron Density - Alignment has been improved. Pressing Align should give the same results, regardless of where the protein currently is. The old style alignment is still available as "refine alignment".
GUI - A delay has been added to the GUI fade in.
Various bug fixes.
Intro Puzzles - various small improvements.
Electron Density - Scoring bug fix.
Bandwidth - The game client should now use less bandwidth.
Disulfides - Disulfides should form automatically on puzzles that support disulfides
Bandwidth - Various fixes to decrease bandwidth usage.
Bandwidth - More fixes to decrease bandwidth usage
Bandwidth - Option for controlling bandwidth usage
Bandwidth and bug fixes.
Electron Density - Players should no longer occasionally score higher than everyone else. Instead, if this happens, the program will close and an error report will be sent to the server to help us debug the problem.
Symmetry - Symmetry released. More info at http://fold.it/portal/node/991056
Behavior - 2 new behavior sliders added, which modify the behavior of wiggle and shake.
Electron Density - The player score calibration bug has been resolved with the help of the error logs sent by players.
Scripting - Newly saved recipes should no longer crash the client when run. Many lua functions should now be more symmetry-friendly.
Symmetry - Align guide has been disabled on symmetric puzzles. This is because the orientation and absolute position relative to the symmetric axis are important, and attempting to align the two proteins requires that these be changed, resulting in a loss of information.
Chat - Posted screenshots should no longer be obscured by the confirm dialog.
Scripting - Lua V2.0 Released
General - Puzzles may now contain cutpoints.
Minor bug fixes.
Version release date and number available in general options
Global band strength added
Sliders for buried and exposed sidechain accuracy added
Option added to disable guide pulsing
The cookbook is now horizonally resizable
The alignment panel has been reworked -
Instead of failing to thread, it will insert cutpoints into the puzzle where there are gaps, and players will have to resolve these before getting credit.
When threading, changes to the sequence alignment in the alignment panel will be immediately reflected on the player's protein.
New intro puzzles for the new alignment tool and cutpoints
Large sphere removed from the move tool to make working on smaller pieces easier
Added lua interface for the new sliders
Wiggle Accuracy slider should behave better - default changed to 2 (the value foldit used before sliders existed)
band.GetLength() should work correctly now
Wiggle should behave better, and the backbone shouldn't get stuck in unideal conformations as often
Local Wiggle from scripting should behave better
Sliders and behavior script hooks disabled for debugging.
- All code related to behavior sliders rolled back and removed. Behavior should return to what it was pre-sliders. Behavior scripting functions remain but are not functional.
- "Tooltips" option now disable score popups and rank popups
- Added an option to disable score popups and rank popups
- Links are now clickable in chat if they start with http://fold.it/ or http://foldit.wikia.com/ and are the only text in the message
- Added more information to the buildid and a button to copy it
* Bug Fixes
- Foldit should no longer crash when chat loses connection
- Developer Preview update group name changed from "beta" to "devprev".
- The alignment tool wasn't inserting cutpoints in some places where it should have - should be fixed now
- The window title is now [Foldit - Puzzle Title - Track] instead of just [Foldit]. If you are in the default track, it will be just [Foldit - Puzzle Title].
- The move tool has been changed to give you a bit more control. Before the axis of rotation would always be around the center of the protein. Now, whichever residue you click on will become the axis for rotation. In addition, we've added a handle for rotating in the camera plane. We're interested to hear your suggestions for improving this tool further.
- Scripting interface changed for rebuild. Before rebuild would try a user specified number of positions, and a variable number of these would be accepted. Now you specify how many accepted positions you want, and rebuild will try to get that number of positions. Rebuild will fail if it tries 50 positions in a row without finding anything. You can change the 50 to another number by specifying a second argument to rebuild.
- IsLocked function added.
- Cookbook is now re-sizable in the selection interface.
- Dividers added to the cookbook, allowing you to categorize your recipies. You can cut and paste recipies between these dividers.
- The script editor now uses a monospace font, and the cursor should show up in the correct position.
- Cutpoints should no longer be removed improperly when aligning.
- Inserting or deleting the last residue of a segment should not result in a crash.
- Pi helices should no longer score as well.
- All pop-ups should be disabled using the disable dialog option.
- Symmetric copies should be a darker shade of grey than locked regions.
- Threading to an alignment should now always work
- Using the arrow keys to shift alignments should now work in the selection interface
- The tutorials have been adjusted to account for the pi-helix score fix
- Translation files should now show credit on the startup credits in game.
- Chat windows now open with a notice informing people that they are in a public channel.
- The alignment panel now has clearer lock/unlock icons.
- There is now a 'cut here' tool available in the default interface, available by right clicking. For the moment, this tool is only available on Alignment Puzzles.
- Wiggle should no longer lock the center of a segment in space.
- Rotamer cycling using the arrow keys in the selection interface should work again.
* A profanity filter has been added for the in-game chat
* A language selector is now available on the login screen, allowing you to choose a translation
* When posting a screenshot to chat, the contents of the chat windows is now blanked out
* The cut tool is now available in the Selection Interface by selecting 2 adjacent residues.
Bug Fixes -
* The "Disable Network Timeouts" option on the login page will now remember its value
* The Windows client wasn't closing handles properly - should be fixed
* Fixed a bug in the Mac client where keypresses were sometimes being duplicated, resulting in double-paste and double-undos (among other things)
* Non-ASCII characters should be supported better
* The move tool should now highlight when you mouse over it
* All functions which add a band should now return 0 on failure
* The profanity filter has been disabled for group chats
* Empty recipes can no longer be shared
* Puzzle categories are now listed in the puzzle select screen
* The game will now make a backup of solutions before saving, reducing the possibility of corrupt save files
* Notes can now be shown/hidden in the Selection Interface
* You can now take screenshots while a tool is running
* The cut tool is now available on some non-alignment puzzles
* The game will remember which interface (Selection or Default) you use
* A sound is now played indicating when a script ends
* The cookbook now hides itself while a recipe runs
* Added the change font size icon to the selection interface cookbook dialog
* The alignment panel now has a 'score' in the title bar. This score gives you an estimate of how good your structure is. Think of it as how well your fold will do if you resolve the cutpoints and shake the structure out.
* The alignment behavior has been changed slightly. Now you can single click the align button to simply align once, and you can double click to lock to the alignment, like before. Clicking again while locked will unlock it.
* The old 'score' has been renamed 'match', as it gave the false impression that players should attempt to optimize this number (the new 'score' should be much better for this purpose).
* The alignment intro levels have been updated to reflect these changes
* The band menu should now always display on-screen
* Using the tab residue info window will no longer cause wiggle to 'lock up'
* Quicksave hotkeys should now work in Linux
* Themes - you can now customize the colors of various parts of Foldit in your theme.txt file. Color codes may be specified in the following formats: byte ([0-255], [0-255], [0-255]), float ([0.0-1.0], [0.0-1.0], [0.0-1.0]), hex ([0x00-0xff], [0x00-0xff], [0x00-0xff]), and html ([#000000-#ffffff]).
* Network Status Indicator - Network status indicators have been added. Chat channel indicators show your connection to each channel. The notification bar indicator shows your connection to the score server. If it is green, it means your scores are being updated.
* Holding ALT will now disable band snapping while dragging.
* The options.txt file now has entries for desired FPS, desired window width and height.
* Residue burial score visualizations no longer show up on hydrophilics.
* Guest accounts in Windows can now run Foldit
* You can now specify whether you want IRC to auto-reconnect in the options file.
* Global wiggle will now try to root the protein on locked or frozen regions when available, instead of just the center of the protein.
* There is now a checkbox in the behavior tab for disabling the forces which pull cutpoints together.
* Fixed the network disconnection check to be more accurate.
* Wiggle should now not get stuck in certain situations.
* The protein should now be able to float freely in electron density puzzles.
* A change to our solution format, which will let us track down bugs more easily.
* Fixed a memory leak in the ResidueIE filter.
- Clashing importance slider is now linear again
- Fixed problem where stop button would draw in incorrect location
- Band length dialog should now always show correct default value
- A new filter has been added called the 'Layer Score Filter'
It will provide feedback for getting appropriate numbers of residues in the core vs. on the surface
It will be enabled in some future design puzzles
- There were many changes to the backend Rosetta code, these should improve performance in some cases and increase the stability of the program.
* Intro puzzles
- Close the gap
Made puzzle solution more clear by hiding voids when puzzle score is close to completion.
- Flippin Sheets
- GUI Script editor CI slider now has 2 decimal points of precision
- The "show expected residue burials" view option should now properly turn on/off at all times
- ResidueIE Score Filter no longer applies to locked residues
* Crash Fixes
- Crash when switching between puzzles
- Crash when opening alignment panel
- Crash when creating a new track
- Crash when turning on "show expected residue burials"
- Translation files have been updated with new strings
* Crash Fixes
- Crash when LayerScore Filter and 'Show expected residue burials' are both enabled
- Crash with 'Show expected residue burials' when there were ligands in the puzzle
- Crash with disulfides on symmetric puzzles
- Crash when calling certain Lua functions with incorrect input types
- Clashing importance now has a text edit box so you can type in desired values
- Added warning about solutions becoming evolver when playing offline
- Fixed typo in intro level text
* Solution Files
- The solution save file format has been updated, solutions saved in this version of the game will not open in older versions
- Updating Polish and Russian translations
- Puzzles with LayerScore enabled should run much smoother now
- Rare crash when changing puzzles
- New Disulfide Count Score Filter
- Electron density scoring has been improved
- Reduced stopping time for Mutate Sidechains in the case of symmetric proteins
- The foldability of the monomer may now be weighted higher in symmetry files
- Extra information has been added to some filters to explain them better
- Performance improvements (stutter issue) on puzzles with the LayerScore filter enabled
- Intro puzzle level number shows up in title.
- A new checkbox has been added to the behavior panel that allows you to disable slow filters
- bool behavior.GetSlowFiltersDisabled()
- void behavior.SetSlowFiltersDisabled(bool setting)
* Bug Fixes
- The behavior panel will now properly update when opened if options were changed from scripts
- Showing isosurface on puzzles with multiple chains will now work
* LUA structure.GetAminoAcid() / get_aa()
- Virtual residues will now return 'vrt'
- Sugars will now return 'unk'
- DNA will now return 'da' for "ADE", 'dc' for "CYT", 'dg' for "GUA", and 'dt' for "THY"
- RNA will now return 'ra' for "RAD", 'rc' for "RCY", 'rg' for "RGU", and 'ru' for "URA"
* LUA structure.GetSecondaryStructure() / get_ss
- Will return 'M' instead of '_'
- Bug fix where client was dropping logging information that it was supposed to send to the client. This will cause bandwidth usage to return to previous levels.
- ResidueIE scoring has been fixed
- Removed log.txt output that was too verbose (affects puzzles with symmetry and layer filters)
- GUI Recipes can now mutate to best identities, and set amino acids directly
- Bug in score function has been fixed. Puzzles may score slightly higher
-- Some tutorials should be easier to beat by following instructions.
- Added 'protein/color/pulse_working_color' and 'protein/color/pulse_eye_catch' to theme.txt
- A search box has been added to the puzzle select menu
- Breakdown of score parts in the segment info (TAB) popup now have a single point of decimal precision
- Breakdown of score parts in the segment info (TAB) popup have more categories so less will be put into 'other'
- Filters text is now more relevant and accurate
- Disabled filters are now colored correctly
- Added an option to color symmetric chains differently
* Centroid Mode
- New puzzles will be able to be posted with 'centroid mode'. This type of puzzle will not do calculations on all of the sidechain atoms so it will be able to run much faster on larger sized puzzles. More info on this in an upcoming blog post.
- Unused chat tabs will be hidden (group tab will not show if you are not in a group, none will show if you are offline)
- You can now import/export LUA V2 scripts directly from the client. Importing will override the current script (keeping parent/title/description data)
- Adding ability to color backbone/sidechains by aa (each AA has a unique color). These colors can be changed in theme.txt
- Updated translation files with new strings
- There is now a "Share with Scientists" button in the client that can be used for sharing buggy/important structures.
- You may now have 10 self-shared solutions, 10 group-shared solutions, and 3 scientist-shared solutions.
* Bug Fixes
- Relative scoring should now work on electron density puzzles
- Fix bug in intro puzzles where extraneous tools were available when they should not have been.
- Fix crashing bug due to localization errors.
- The "Enable Backbone Constraints" checkbox in the behavior tab has been renamed to "Enable Cut Bands". This checkbox now should modify only the behavior of the cut bands, and NOT the rest of the backbone. This should fix *some* of the issues with wiggle.
- A new tool has been added - Idealize. Idealize works on a segment of backbone and sets the inter-residue bonds to their 'ideal' angles.
This tool should be very helpful for closing cuts, and resolving backbone quality issues. This tool is available anywhere where local wiggle is available. Additionally, there is a script hook called "IdealizeSelected".
- A Delete button has been added to the track dialog. Pressing the button will delete your track (with a confirmation prompt) and return you to the default track.
* Electron Density
- There is a button in the Electron Density Panel to focus rotation on the density. You can use the HOME or Q keys to refocus on the protein.
- The density score of a residue may now be viewed in the tab menu
Be sure to check out the blog post on the new Idealize Tool here: http://fold.it/portal/node/995357
- Notes can be added to the electron density if present. To add one, press TAB with the mouse over the density while the density panel is open. Use the recycle button in the note panel to erase one. (Note: saving and sharing these notes is a feature that should be in the next release).
EDIT: Here is a video where Seth Cooper explains how to add/delete/view Electron Density Notes:
- Adjusted criteria for determining if a cutpoint can be closed. In particular, cuts must not be at too wide or narrow an angle to close.
- Added visualizations for unideal/cis peptide bonds (Backbone Issues). Clicking these will 'fix' the problem, but modify the global structure.
- Added behavior option to use older wiggle parameters; some behavior options only show up in the advanced gui.
* Electron Density
- A 'trim' feature has been added to the electron density panel. Clicking trim will pop up a dialog that allows you to
only show density within the specified distance from the current backbone.
* Bug Fixes
- A 'sticky' wiggle bug in symmetric proteins has been fixed.
* Bug Fixes
- Fix an issue introduced on 06-26-2013 where automatic solution uploads for analysis were not being uploaded as often as they should have been.
* Beginner Puzzles
- Beginner puzzles now have a wiki link in the top score panel to a help page specific to that puzzle
- Veteran players can now still play the <150 puzzles, but will not get credit
* Selection Interface
- The move tool no longer pops up automatically while selecting a single residue. This should make it easier to double click residues. There is now a button + hotkey (3) to bring up the move tool in the Selection Interface.
- 'Remove band' hotkey changed from z to r to be consistent with the original interface, and to avoid an existing collision with the 'undo' hotkey.
- For consistency's sake, you may now rebuild 1-2 segments in the selection interface (although, like the original interface, no actual rebuild will take place. The game simply makes a cut behind the scenes and then executes a closure algorithm).
* Contact Map Puzzles - A new type of puzzle has been added. These puzzles are extremely similar to Exploration Puzzles, but instead of trying to move away from the starting structure, you will be trying to MATCH the predicted contacts of the native.
* Electron Density
- Density notes can now change colors. Right click on a density note to change its color.
- Denisty notes are now saved.
- The hotkey Shift+E can be used to open the Electron Density panel. The hotkey for Show Ligand Constraints is now Ctrl+Shift+E.
- 'Align' has been renamed to 'Center'
- Bonuses gained text changed to just state the number of points gained from filters
- Fixed a crash when inserting cutpoints involving a proline
- Fixed a crash when using the 'show expected residue burial' option
- Fixed 'sticky wiggle' in centroid
- There is now a "Veteran" chat tab. This will show up for those who have > 150 global soloist points.
- The puzzle chat tab has been removed.
- A lua function has been added which will return a table of subscore names (puzzle.GetPuzzleSubscoreNames())
- Backbone Issues is now turned off by default
- Many buttons that bring up dialog panels (such as the density panel) will now close the panel if it is open.
- Memory usage should be significantly reduced.
* Bug Fixes
- The electron density panel will no longer hide when you change tracks
- Switching puzzles will no longer kick you out of the selection interface
- The backbone issues visualization will no longer show up in tutorial puzzles
- Precise wiggle and slow filter check boxes are now disabled during tool running, since this is not safe and was causing crashes
* Move Tool
- Modified the move tool to have additional functionality in the selection interface. The move tool is now a toggle-button. When on, you may now move all selected parts of the protein as one piece, as long as they are capable of moving. If you have nothing selected, it will try to move everything. If you attempt to move a piece of the protein which cannot move, it will highlight the immovable residues in dark red.
* Notifications Panel
- Removed buddy-related notifications.
* Bug Fixes
- Make note bubbles visible on dark background by default. To pick up the new color, existing players will need to delete the "gui/color/label_panel" setting from theme.txt
- Let note bubbles move with the protein.
- Don't move windows on restore when "update when minimized" is set.
- Fix mode hot keys restoring the original interface when in selection interface
- Don't pulse for eye catch if the pulse when working is not set.
- Fix issue where tutorial bubbles were getting stuck.
- Make windows remember their locations, size, and visibility over puzzle changes, track changes, and sessions.
- A bug in saving solutions with disulfides that prevented them from loading has been fixed.
- A bug that would sometimes cause regions of the protein to move or spin even though they weren't being edited has been fixed.
- Attempting to address GetHeat with 1,1 will no longer crash the program.
- Electron Density puzzles should no longer score oddly during certain runs of the program.
- The Electron Density intro puzzle should now have the move tool available.
- GetSegmentEnergySubscore is now case-insensitive on the score part string.
- Added a checkbox to hide Beginner Puzzles from the Puzzle select menu.
- Show elapsed time as well as iterations on stop button in advanced GUI.
* Selection Interface
- "Align Guide" hotkey has been changed from A to G in selection interface to match original interface.
- Sidechain stub mode should now show stubs in centroid mode.
- ResidueIE wording on the bonus clarified. Visualizations should now be displayed correctly.
- NEW FILTER - Fragment Filter: This filter compares the shape of your backbone to shapes found in the PDB, and will penalize you if there aren't any close matches. This filter will be used for design.
* New tool - Remix
- This tool is designed to work with the new Fragment Filter to help you 'fix' bad backbone shapes. Running Remix on the bad regions highlighted by the filter will fix them, but you'll have to resolve the issues that come up as a result of the fix. This tool will be available on a puzzle-by-puzzle basis for now.
* Bug Fixes
- The game should no longer lock up when you remove bands while dragging the move tool in the selection interface.
- Lua function is_contact will now return 0 on non-contact puzzles instead of crashing.
- Fixed a crash during wiggle with locks and bands in centroid puzzles.
- Wiggle should experience less slowdown in puzzles with constraints
- An automatic crash reporting mechanism has been added
- The ResidueIE formatting has been cleaned up
- The Track list will now refresh on track change
* Bug Fixes
- The size of the isosurface has been limited so that it will not crash on extended chains.
- The continue button should no longer continue into an old version of the desired puzzle.
- Iterations have been modified to represent a machine-independent 'work' unit.
- Wiggle Power added - Wiggle Power allows you to balance speed and points. In particular, low Wiggle Power wont try to idealize the protein as it runs, while medium will try the basics, and high will try to optimize everything.
- Scoring has received a major overhaul to be more scientifically accurate. Please see the related blog post for more details.
- Added an 'Idealization' score part.
- Added undo.SetUndo(boolean) that enables or disables pushes onto the undo stack.
* Bug Fixes
- Rebuild should now pay attention to cutpoint bands unless you have them disabled.
- Bands between symmetric copies of the protein should now be applied correctly.
- Added structure.InsertCut(index) and structure.DeleteCut(index).
- Added structure.RemixSelected().
* Bug Fixes
- Fixed a crash on setting language pack.
- Fixed a crash on exit from login menu.
- Rebuild and Pull should now respect the cut bands checkbox.
- Rebuild should again return more useful results.
- Fixed a bug with inserting/deleting cutpoint residues.
- Fixed an issue where some panels were displaying improperly.
- Tweak should now only run when the mouse is held down in the Selection Interface.
- Tweak shouldn't push undos if a register shift failed.
- Reduced Rosetta logfile reporting verbosity.
- Disulfide scores should show up in the score parts again.
- Added Indonesian translation.
* Intro puzzles
- Instructions for 'Cut and Paste' made clearer.
- Auto Wiggle Power added. Auto Wiggle Power behaves like Low Power Wiggle unless there are unidealities, in which case it adds only the necessary extra computations to deal with these. Auto is the new default for Wiggle Power.
- New tool added - Idealize SS - This tool directly sets backbone geometry to the perfect settings for whatever the secondary structure is currently marked as (works for strands/helices, does nothing for loops).
- Rebuild should be ~20% faster.
- Tweak should be more reliable.
- Mutate should stop much faster.
- Pull should be more responsive.
* Bug Fixes
- Rebuild should no longer create stretched segments.
- Disable tooltip should no longer be reset by the mutate menu.
- Ideality issues should show up again when show backbone issues is enabled.