website cleanup at fold.it
|Opened on:||Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 18:56|
|Last modified:||Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 18:03|
Several people have noted the lack of new users recently.
One factor could be the website, which is showing its age in spots.
1. In the download area, the Windows versions are still "Vista/7/8". It's time to remove Vista and add a mention of Windows 10. (And make a similar update for Mac?)
2. The "Are you new to Foldit?" links go to pages which are a little dated. The "new to Foldit" page still mentions Windows XP, for example. There's a newer version of this page, https://fold.it/portal/node/2003714, but there are still links to the old version in multiple spots.
2a. Saying "Are you new to Foldit? Click here." is poor style. I'd suggest dropping "click here", and make the link "Get Started Playing Foldit" instead. Similarly, the other two links would be "Foldit for Students" and "Foldit for Educators" (or, better yet, "Teachers").
2b. The links for the beginner puzzles still go the old version of "Get Started Playing Foldit". These links appear on the puzzle pages each time a puzzle is posted.
3. The beginner puzzle pages still mention the "rebuild" intro puzzle, which has been retired in favor of "remix". They also use the term "tutorial" instead of "intro".
4. It looks like we could retire the instructions for claiming Citizen Science Day badges. The link doesn't seem to be operational.
5. The protein image on the front page is looking a little dated to me. It would probably be good to change it once in a while just to give the page a fresh look. Maybe a slowly changing gallery of protein images, or a "protein of the month"?
5a. On the image, the message "Click to learn how you contribute to science by playing Foldit." could be phrased as "See how playing Foldit helps science.".
5b. The image links to https://fold.it/portal/info/about, which doesn't directly deliver on the "contribute to science" promise. The relevant sections are down in the middle of the long page. A more focused page or better yet a video would be good. The current about page should be broken up into several smaller pages.
These changes seem to be mainly content-related, so they should be relatively easy.
There are also some functional problems with fold.it, such as the inability to add an attachment to a new feedback. (Seeing that one right now, you can add an image, but you can't attach log.txt, for example.) Fixing those issues probably involves messing with configuration files or other internal changes.