Hotfix release soon!
We're going to be releasing a small update that addresses some of the issues with the small molecule design puzzles soon. This release will go to devprev for a brief period, and will be pushed to main shortly thereafter. Just a heads up!(Tue, 09/26/2017 - 18:18 | 2 comments)
Puzzle 1431 Unsolved De-novo Freestyle 117 Deadline Extended
Puzzle 1431 Unsolved De-novo Freestyle 117 has been extended by two weeks! After discussion with the community and Foldit admin team, we agree that a week for such a big puzzle was too limiting. We're hoping all find the two additional weeks useful for full exploration of the puzzle and apologize that the extension came so close to the actual deadline.(Mon, 09/25/2017 - 22:03 | 0 comments)
We're Hiring.... You Looking?
Seth Cooper's (scooper) team at Northeastern University is hiring a part-time game developer to work on Foldit! This is an on-campus position, so those who apply will need to be local to Boston. Minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- C++ development
- Minimum of 2 – 5 years of experience required. Interest in biochemistry is preferred.
- Version control (preferably git)
- Experience with large codebases
- Works well in teams and independently
- Self-motivated with great organization, communication, and problem-solving skills
If you or someone you know is interested, find the full job posting and application process here.(Thu, 09/21/2017 - 20:12 | 0 comments)
Updates from the Foldit Team
Here are some things the Foldit team has been working on lately:
- bkoep has been purifying proteins in the lab. Below is a picture of crystals of a Foldit player-designed protein. He harvested a few of these yesterday, and will try x-ray diffraction in the next couple of weeks.
- scooper has finished with his study of the Foldit touch interface. Results are currently being reviewed.
- Last month, Lorna presented work at RosettaCON 2017 (see picture below). She is currently working on Foldit Pipeline which will allow for multiple files to be uploaded at the same time to create a contest.
- Uttkarsh and joshmiller are reworking the tutorial levels. In the coming weeks they'll be restructuring the level ordering and branching, adding new levels, and removing some of the unnecessary HUD elements in the early stages of the tutorial.
- jflat06 has been working on load testing Foldit servers.
UPDATES DISCLAIMER: We want to keep the community apprised of what we are working on, but please note that not everything we spend time on will necessarily come to fruition quickly or even at all. The nature of research is nebulous and often there is no clear answer to a problem. Researchers can work on something for a long time and end up without usable results. Also please keep in mind that we are working on projects that the team has deemed the most appropriate/valuable use of our time and resources based on the information we have at hand. This may not jive with what all players feel is the best for Foldit and while we are certainly willing to listen to your concerns, please understand this may not change our direction. We value, put weight on, and appreciate your feedback nonetheless.
New Puzzle Type: Small Molecule Design!
Hi everyone, today we're officially launching the small molecule design (drug design) mode of Foldit, with Puzzle 1432: HIV Protease Inhibitor Small Molecule Design!
See the latest blog post for more information. We appreciate any feedback you have regarding this new puzzle type!