Updating macOS version to 64-bit
Since Apple will soon be limiting support for 32-bit applications (https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=06282017a), we will be updating the macOS version of Foldit to 64-bit in an upcoming update, and the existing 32-bit version of Foldit will no longer be supported. This will likely require re-downloading the macOS installer.(Tue, 04/24/2018 - 20:05 | 1 comment)
Citizen Science Day Heroes
It's Citizen Science Day and the fine folks over at the Human Computation Institute together with SciStarter have put together an event called the CitSciDay HERO Challenge. Players go around and try out some cool citizen science games and earn badges. You may have guessed it, Foldit is involved this year! There are likely to be some fresh faces in chat from people coming by to earn their badge and try Foldit on for size. If you want to check out the event (or claim your Foldit badge!) check out the blog post here.(Sat, 04/14/2018 - 16:47 | 0 comments)
Developer Preview Release Soon
We're going to be pushing an update to the developer preview soon with the following fixes and features:
* Added the Pin Tool - this allows players to have greater control over where the changes to the protein backbone are rooted. To access, go to the view options and check 'Show backbone pins' (off by default, and not shown when 'advanced gui' isn't enabled). A pin will appear over each piece of protein representing where the piece is rooted. Left click and drag to move it, right click to keep the piece from moving. You can find a quick demonstration here.
* Added additional info to Foldit's crash reporting system to better track down bugs.
* The Ideal loops gallery has been removed from the RamaMapPanel. The Rama map also now shouldn't take up processing resources when it not visible.
* Sound has been re-enabled.
* Fixed some small memory leaks.
* Improved performance for several visualizations.
* Various fixes and improvements for drug-design related tools and scoring.
As a final note: over the next few weeks we are planning to test out some experimental features in the intro puzzles. You might notice that new or different features are available in some of these puzzles. This should not affect the science puzzles. If you are an instructor using Foldit and would like to have the standard features for your class, please contact us.(Wed, 04/11/2018 - 00:56 | 2 comments)