Good news everyone!
You know how on occasion the network seems to drop out or things just fail or some random weather element hits and Foldit falls offline? Well, good news, everyone! We're in the process of moving over to Amazon Web Services (AWS) to take care of some of these problems once and for all. Some of the noticeable benefits for our community:
* Improved connection and stability. The servers are located on the East Coast, and therefore our European players may experience some benefits.
* Greater uptime! While we obviously don't want to jinx things like saying nothing will ever happen and things won't ever go offline, we can safely say that the chances have significantly dropped in comparison to recent years.
* Plus, being "Powered by Amazon Web Services" means things just got more reliable and scalable to suit our needs as we go forward with Foldit.
While our transition is not entirely complete, we of course wanted to share this good news, and we expect any upcoming downtime directly related to our transition to be minimal (we'll warn you well in advance, though). We'd also like to extend a note of appreciation to Amazon for providing initial funding and helping us with the project.
Enjoy!(Tue, 06/28/2016 - 22:40 | 0 comments)
Quirky Network Time
We apologize for the recent outage, which appears to have been minimal and network related. Good news, things look like they're back to normal, and we encourage you to correct us in the comments of this post if that's not actually the case.
Thanks for your patience!(Mon, 06/27/2016 - 20:08 | 0 comments)
New project from CGS!
It's pretty likely if you follow the Center for Game Science here at the University of Washington, you've seen some posts lately about our upcoming neuroscience effort, which we have entitled "Mozak" (name may be tweaked slightly before release). Today, we're offering you a chance to signup before public beta starts.
Why sign up ahead of public beta? Here are some reasons:
* Possible early access! You never know when we're going to let in some waves to test certain browsers, levels of experience, etc. It could be you in that wave!
* First dibs on preferred usernames
* Shiny perks such as a (very likely) jump start before we open the gates to everyone! This is pretty much getting in on the near ground floor of the next biggest citizen science thing. Or you can just follow the project on Twitter and Facebook and wait for the general public beta unlocking, but I know some of you aren't into that, and this really is a better avenue for news.
All brains welcome! No neuroscience experience necessary!
(We now return you to your normal folding schedule.)(Wed, 06/22/2016 - 15:59 | 4 comments)
We've just released a small update with the following feature:
* Added AbegoFilter to filter loops based on ABEGO rules.
Devprev puzzle reposted
We've released a hotfix for the devprev update group that should fix a crash caused by the Ideal Loops Filter.
The devprev clone of Puzzle 1242 has also been reposted, so that players can now correctly load in solutions from Puzzle 1242. Try loading your solutions from Puzzle 1242 into the devprev puzzle to see if they have Ideal Loops!(Fri, 06/10/2016 - 01:59 | 3 comments)