Mac client crashes consistently on AMD Radeon HD 6770M card boost (OS X Lion 10.7)

Started by wld333

wld333 Lv 1

New iMac, Mac OS X Lion (10.7), AMD Radeon HD 6770M graphics card. Crashes constantly. Does a little better when I play offline, with resolution lowered and with basic RGB color profile. But still crashes in the same place after a few minutes (versus under a minute or at startup with standard settings).

Based on the error log (attached), it appears to be an issue with attempting a graphics boost during a render, but I'm just basing that on where the actual crash occurred, and of course there could be something else going wrong earlier and this may just be where it gets in trouble. But it always crashes in exactly this spot.

Please change the title if it looks like I've diagnosed this incorrectly, and any suggestions for settings to get around the problem until it's fixed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

jflat06 Staff Lv 1

Do you have any other 3D intensive games or applications which you can run on that machine? Do the problems occur in those programs as well?

wld333 Lv 1

Just web-based stuff. I tried RuneScape, for example. It was slower than I expected, but it ran without crashing even when I set the graphics settings to highest resolution and enabled all the special effects. There are apparently some issues with Flash Player and OS X Lion, but I assume that's not relevant to FoldIt.

Are there specific graphics benchmarks or things like that you'd like me to try?

jflat06 Staff Lv 1

Does OS X have any 3D screensavers that you can try running? I am mostly concerned that it may be a problem with your computer in particular, since we dont seem to have other reports of this problem.

You may also want to double check that you have your most recent graphics drivers.

wld333 Lv 1

Just to make sure we're on the same page, FoldIt runs just fine on my previous computer, a MacBook Pro running OS X Snow Leopard 10.6. Unfortunately, the hard drive on that machine has failed about 6 times in two years, so I just got a new iMac last week with OS X Lion 10.7. Lion has only been out for about 2 weeks, hasn't it? Do you know for certain that other people are running FoldIt successfully on OS X Lion?

I don't see any specific 3D screensavers, but I'll try to find one. The AMD site only offers driver updates for Windows machines. The machine is brand new and Software Update says there's nothing new available, so I believe that means I have the latest drivers, although I can't be certain.

Thanks for your efforts on this issue. I'll keep investigating on my end as well. I'm a software developer and could certainly help debug this if there were a way for me to run a debug version of the app or take a look at that part of the code. Please let me know if I can help in any way.

NinjaGreg Lv 1

I have a very recent MacBook Pro with 2.3 GHz Core i7, 8 GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB (the original post was for the Radeon 6770M), just upgraded to Lion (10.7). Foldit crashes very quickly with even minor UI interaction, so it's not just that one machine. I've attached the log.txt file.

wld333 Lv 1

Thanks for posting this, NinjaGreg! I'm curious whether your crash happens in the same place in the code where mine does. Any chance you could attach the text of the Apple report dialog? (When the machine asks you if you want to report the error to Apple, click on Details to see the stack trace of the crash.)