Foldit client crashes on Puzzle 633

Started by smilingone

smilingone Lv 1

I've had 633 close on me three times now. I only had two clients running on a laptop that can easily handle quite a few more. It was running under 30% CPU and only using about 25% RAM. So, the computer wasn't being taxed. Nothing else was running, and the computer was still on when I got home. The foldit clients were simply closed.

This morning I had one that just hung and needed to be closed.

smilingone Lv 1

I wish we could edit these comments. I'd love to edit both content and title line.

They crashed on my desktop, not laptop. I'm going to try the laptop tonight.

This only happens with 633.

spdenne Lv 1

I had a Win7x64 client runnign a recipe on puzzle 633 that was responding really slowly, quite sluggish, and page faults staying around 40000 per second. Another client working fine on the same PC was running a recipe on puzzle 632 and was running just fine.

gitwut Lv 1

Similarly here. I don't know the reasons, but 633 crashed twice on me at work. It's a Vista 32-bit though, devprev client. That's not happened with any other puzzle so far using devprev.

It was running sluggishly just now (Vista 64-bit, devprev) at home. I restarted the client but didn't think to check computer performance stats.

pauldunn Lv 1

I've also had several crashes on puzzle 633 using devprev. I've attached a log.txt file.

UNHANDLED EXCEPTION
1: RaiseException +88 bytes (no line)
2: library_main +15813949 bytes (no line)
3: library_main +15813876 bytes (no line)
4: library_main +5362427 bytes (no line)
5: library_main +6012663 bytes (no line)
6: library_main +6013073 bytes (no line)
7: library_main +5370423 bytes (no line)
8: library_main +4046307 bytes (no line)
9: library_main +4521713 bytes (no line)
10: library_main +4487805 bytes (no line)
11: library_main +4491535 bytes (no line)
12: library_main +7589034 bytes (no line)
13: library_main +7590736 bytes (no line)
14: library_main +8212165 bytes (no line)
15: library_main +8221394 bytes (no line)
16: library_main +7593399 bytes (no line)
17: library_main +7588277 bytes (no line)
18: library_main +4527653 bytes (no line)
19: library_main +4219918 bytes (no line)
20: library_main +4223414 bytes (no line)
21: BaseThreadInitThunk +18 bytes (no line)
22: RtlInitializeExceptionChain +99 bytes (no line)
23: RtlInitializeExceptionChain +54 bytes (no line)

brow42 Lv 1

Okay I found something like these symptoms. I have THREE processes but only TWO client windows. At 7:23 am I have one running 6:08:00, one 2:23:00, and on running 00:1:45. The first I started before going to bed on 633, and left running Mutate Combo. The last I started when I got up, to see if news has been posted. The middle, apparently started when I was asleep.

Oh, I just realized these are CPU times so time differences would be meaningless. The two idle clients are using 30% of my quadcore when open, 0-1% when minimized. The middle, dead client is using 0% (but somehow used up 2.3 hours in the night. Perhaps it stopped when I launched the new client at 7:20 am?

The news dateline within the news itself is 9/26 08:17. On the website, it says 9/26 1:17. My scriptlog and all.macro was last modified at 4:47. Nothing else seems to have changed on disk, or was changed again at 7:20 am.

My 633 did not crash. However, it is now running sluggishly. The new client is running fine. Okay, I've killed the zombie but the first client is still sluggish. First client says it is connected to the server and it is connected to chat. Closed it, and started a new client and loaded 633, it's running fine. I should note that my clients always have 329-334 threads when running. I was running the main client. I run all clients from the same folder.

Hanto said in chat that he'd seen problems in his clients when news was posted.

Actually, this could be a red herring. I crashed foldit and opengl earlier in the day by updating my video drivers while foldit was running. The dead process may be a zombie and not a child of the 633. However, my 633 client WAS definitely sluggish this morning.

mimi Lv 1

I'm also getting crashes when running 633 on a laptop with Win7
Other clients on the same system are fine.
Using main not dev for foldit.
From comments above looks like a 633 problem rather than anything else

smilingone Lv 1

It's definitely an issue with 633. Overnight, I had 2 clients running 633 on my win7 laptop. Both crashed. I won't be playing 633 anymore. I have a win7 laptop that can run a lot more than I had running last night. I was only around 60% cpu and under 50% ram usage when I went to bed. So, again, my computer wasn't maxed out. I just can't keep a client running 633 for any period of time without a crash.

It appears to be happening on both main and devprev from the comments. I'm raising priority.