New Interface Issues
|Opened on:||Tuesday, November 3, 2009 - 19:27|
|Last modified:||Thursday, July 19, 2012 - 00:46|
I really like the new interface, but there are a few issues with it. Here are a few issues that I've discovered (and some that I heard about from others) in order of most important to least important:
1. Frozen segments crash foldit when wiggled in new interface: crashguard, can you fill in the details here? is it just when running a script or in general (I think in general, but ???) do other operations on frozen segments cause crashes? To admins, why do we need freeze in the new interface? Select has all the functionality of freeze.
2. Pulls have different mechanics in new interface: you can do tiny little pulls in the old interface (like lots of folks, I use them for settling a protein into position and inreasing score) but in the new interface, you pull and .... wait ... wait ... bang! It will often be pulled apart completely or otherwise mangled. An attempt to make a small pull will often just do nothing. I suspect this is a collision between pull and select (a small pull registers as an attempt to select-drag or something??)
3. Rotate is too easy to trigger by mistake: in design puzzles, we can move and rotate the protein. Problem is that if you're working on a sidechain anywhere near the middle of the protein, you'll often trigger rotate when you mean to pull a sidechain. Clicking even remotely near the arrows/icons for rotate/move will move everything -- it's hard to get at the sidechains you want to manipulate.
4. Annoying icons: it's cute, but annoying when the icons for shake, wiggle, etc. pop up at the bottom of the screen. There is a different combination of them all the time and they even rearrange themselves!! (Why???) Can all the icons be there all the time and just be greyed-out if you can't use them, or is there some reason they need to be popping up constantly? If they do need to be popping, please have them arranged in the same order each time!
5. This is either an issue or just me -- It is a pain to deselect stuff, because you have to click off the protein -- trouble is with a big protein or zoomed in, it's hard to find a spot to click. Or you think you've deselected but ... oops! Is there/can there be a keystroke or mouse move to deselect or deselect all that is easier to use?
anyone else have stuff?