Updates from the Foldit Team
Here are some things the Foldit team has been working on lately:
- jflat06 has just put out a release with a new puzzle type and is working on various bug fixes (electron density crash on Linux, symmetry crash on Windows, and working on stability of the Mac build).
- bkoep has been busy testing Foldit players' designs in the lab (see image at bottom).
- scooper is working with some students on developing an interface for playing Foldit on touchscreen devices. He is also working with a student to update tutorial levels.
- smortier is working on finding outlets for additional outreach opportunities.
- As a result of the last Science Chat and subsequent player posts, the team is now discussing how we can provide a more "game-like" feel to Foldit. Thank you to those who have already put in suggestions. If you have thoughts, feel free to let us know! You guys are the experts and we value your opinions greatly.
That's it for now, but we'll work hard to keep you in the loop. As an aside, check out this cool article that Foldit was just feature in!
Running a circular dichroism experiment with a Foldit player-designed protein. This protein appears to be partially unfolded at room temperature.
UPDATES DISCLAIMER: We want to keep the community apprised of what we are working on, but please note that not everything we spend time on will necessarily come to fruition quickly or even at all. The nature of research is nebulous and often there is no clear answer to a problem. Researchers can work on something for a long time and end up without usable results. Also please keep in mind that we are working on projects that the team has deemed the most appropriate/valuable use of our time and resources based on the information we have at hand. This may not jive with what all players feel is the best for Foldit and while we are certainly willing to listen to your concerns, please understand this may not change our direction. We value, put weight on, and appreciate your feedback nonetheless.(Tue, 07/25/2017 - 21:11 | 7 comments)