Lab Report #16: DeepMind and Beyond
This month we reflect on the exciting AlphaFold2 breakthrough by DeepMind. We've also got new coronavirus puzzles just in time for the new year. Watch our latest lab report on YouTube now.
- AlphaFold2 and protein structure prediction
- MERS-CoV binder design
- Two-sided interface design
- More designable linker puzzles
Blogs, blogs, blogs!
Hey everyone! Be sure to check out our latest Forum thread: How to Foldit! This ten part blog series will take you from the very basics of Foldit all the way to playing like a true scientist! Whether you're just starting out or have been folding for years, every part will have something to teach you. The first part is all about the big idea: what's the point of Foldit, anyway? Plus it has some pro tips for veteran folders looking to up their game. We'll be releasing one part of this series each week, so check back in periodically for the latest tips on how to be a master folder!(Mon, 12/28/2020 - 19:02 | 0 comments)
Updates to Our Community Rules
In order to keep our community safe and friendly, we have made some updates to our community rules. Here's a summary of what we changed:
- We're emphasizing our zero tolerance policies for discrimination and harassment.
- We're going to be more lenient on minor offenses. We know everyone has bad days and the occasional curse word or insult slips out. We won't hold it against you forever.
- We're going to be more strict on major offenses. There's no excuse for hate speech or threats, and we plan to escalate our responses to this kind of behavior.
- We're trying to be more clear about what counts as cheating. We realize other solutions can be inspiring, and there's a fine line between being inspired and learning from another solution and copying/stealing it. Not only have we updated the descriptions in our guidelines, we've updated our internal policies for judging these cases in order to be more fair.
Our community manager agcohn821 and our player moderators have been collaborating to make these updates. We hope these rules can keep our community safe for everybody and make Foldit a pleasant place to be and talk.
Thank you for following our community rules, and as always, happy folding.(Tue, 12/22/2020 - 18:53 | 4 comments)
Happy Holidays from Foldit!
To celebrate the holiday season, Foldit is hosting a Build-a-Snowflake competition! Head to the Snowflake Sandbox puzzle to make a snowflake using 6-fold symmetry! When you're done, click the "Share with Scientists" button and post a screenshot in the chat! After the puzzle closes, everyone on the Foldit team will pick our favorites and showcase them in an upcoming newsletter!
(This puzzle is not worth any points and will not be analyzed for scientific merit. It's just for fun!)
Happy folding!(Mon, 12/21/2020 - 22:34 | 0 comments)
Office Hours 12/22/20
Hey everyone! There will be an Office Hour coming up led by milkshake! It will take place on December 22nd at noon PT (time zone converter). For this Office Hour, you're welcome to bring questions regarding the more technical or non-biochemistry side of Foldit. Hope to see y'all there!(Sun, 12/20/2020 - 23:39 | 0 comments)