Welcome our new op!
With the new year, we will be bringing on some additional ops to our volunteer moderator team. The first "newcomer" has actually been with us a while and started folding in October 2012. A member of Beta Folders, he is helpful and frequently seen around our chat channels. We are quite pleased to see him take on this new role in our community.
Everyone, please feel free put your congrats here for retiredmichael!(Thu, 01/15/2015 - 23:04 | 3 comments)
New IRC Server!
Today we're deploying something that we've been working on behind the scenes recently - the new IRC server!
Our old IRC server was using unsupported and unmaintained software, which made it difficult to update when we needed new features or bug fixes.
You likely wont see much of a change with the new server, but here are a few things that will be different:
* If you want to connect to the new server with your own IRC client, you will need to connect to port 6665 instead of port 6667 on irc.fold.it (We may switch this to the default 6667 at a later date).
* If you're using your own IRC client, you will need to repeat the process of configuring it to identify on the new server (adding your IRC key). You may have added your IRC key for the old server, but this is a new server, so you'll have to do it again.
* You will now only be able to join #global, #veteran, and your group channel.
* Group admins will automatically have oper privileges in their own groups (the group leader is able to flag who is and who isn't admin on the website).
* The server wont automatically ban you if you fail to identify before joining your group channel. As long as you identify, you should be able to rejoin immediately.
* The upgrades include an additional feature for downloading old puzzles. You can now download old puzzles just like you download recipes off the site. You need to be logged into chat in your Foldit client, and also logged into the website. When you are, there is a link on the Puzzle page, immediately above the comments section. Clicking that link will download the puzzle. (This will be enabled soon). Note that we don't officially support old puzzles, but if the puzzle is fairly recent, it should still work!
* The server and chat should be more reliable overall, barring some initial kinks that may have to be worked out.
What wont change:
* Behavior while using the Foldit client chat.
* You'll still IDENTIFY with NickServ as usual when using your own IRC client.
* You can still join #global and #veteran without identifying.
Any new clients that start up will connect to this server automatically, but you'll have to restart your old clients. It may take a while for everyone to restart and migrate to the new server.
Some of our players have already helped to test the new server, but there might be some bugs that we haven't found yet. Feel free to respond to this post if you notice anything that isn't working properly!( Posted by jflat06 114 1289 | Tue, 01/13/2015 - 19:55 | 5 comments )
New Release! New IRC Server Tomorrow!
We've just pushed an update out to the main game that contains the following fixes and features:
- Dramatically reduced Rosetta logfile output.
- Client-side upgrades for the new IRC server.
- Remix backend now only loads when you enter a design puzzle. This will speed up load times for non-design puzzles.
* Bug Fixes
- Fixed a crash with clicking the checkbox of the Disulfide Filter.
The new IRC server will be deployed tomorrow. Once it is deployed, any new clients that are started up will connect to the new server automatically. If you're feeling adventurous, you can use the new server right now with an external IRC client by connecting to irc.fold.it port 6665 (The current server is on port 6667).(Mon, 01/12/2015 - 21:14 | 0 comments)